Corporate Social Responsibility
Room for Responsibility
Executives, associates, franchisees and even guests — we challenge everyone at Choice to take responsibility for our footprint on the communities in which we work and live. When you work at Choice, you will be part of that commitment in all that you do and through participation in our ongoing Room for Responsibility initiatives:
Room to be Green — these guiding principles ensure we consider the environmental implications of our decisions and action ...
Room to Give — our community involvement and charitable giving programs provide matching gifts, scholarships, grants and volunteer support....
Room for Everyone — embodies our commitment to an inclusive workplace culture that ensures diversity in all aspects of our business...
Room to Rebuild — this signature cause partnership provides great volunteer opportunities for associates and hotel owners and employees within their local communities...
Our environmental mission is to improve the quality of our communities by working with our associates, franchisees, guests, suppliers, community leaders and neighbors to protect and enhance our environment for the benefit of current and future generations.
When making business decisions at Choice, we consider the following guiding principles to measure the appropriateness of our actions and their impact on the environment:
- Encourage conservation and preservation of our natural resources to reduce any negative environmental impact caused by the way we do business
- Establish efficient business practices that will lead to the reduction of waste whenever possible
- Apply the highest standards of operational excellence in carrying forth our environmental initiatives
- Communicate our environmental stewardship to our stakeholders
- Measure our success and monitor our environmental impact through continual evaluation and improvement
We also recognize our franchised hotels for taking responsibility for their environmental impact. Our hotel recognition program supports:
- Energy conservation
- Water conservation
- Recycling and waste reduction
- Employee engagement and operational excellence
- Smart, safe and sustainable product usage
The philanthropic activities of Choice Hotels are funded through the Choice Hotels International Foundation. The Foundation grants funds to charitable organizations that meet guidelines associated with our mission and are located in communities where we have a corporate presence.
The primary areas of focus that define our giving include:
- Providing shelter and food to those in need
- Supporting the educational efforts of schools, workforce entry organizations and the hospitality industry
- Promoting the growth and development of tourism
We actively engage our associates in these activities by encouraging volunteerism and philanthropic giving, supporting their efforts with initiatives that include:
- Volunteer matching programs
- Financial matching programs
- Scholarship programs
Include everyone. Avoid sameness.At Choice, our approach to diversity is very simple. It means we care about more than just gender, race and cultural diversity. We also strive for a mix of people who think differently, represent different perspectives, and see and solve problems in different ways. We seek a workplace in which everyone feels included and valued — because that's how we make better decisions, design better processes, and bring the best possible product to our guests — who happen to be a very diverse group themselves.
Room for all. Working at Choice, you'll see, feel and experience our approach to inclusion every day — in how you are treated and how you interact with colleagues and company leadership. You'll also have opportunities to participate in formal groups and activities that keep fresh ideas flowing from all perspectives, such as:
- Multicultural Awareness Committee
- Women's Business Alliance
- Choice PRIDE Employee Resource Group
- Supplier Diversity Program
- Minority Ownership Incentive Program
Room to Rebuild
In 2009, Choice Hotels, through the Choice Hotels International Foundation, entered into a signature cause partnership with Rebuilding Together, the nation's leading nonprofit working to preserve affordable homeownership and revitalize communities.
The Room to Rebuild program provides rewarding volunteer opportunities for Choice associates around the country, including local rebuilding projects, creating care packages for project houses, and more.
The partnership with Rebuilding Together also creates opportunities for our franchised hotel owners and their employees to work on projects in their local regions.